In the U.S. today, it’s Labor Day. Guess where I don’t live? That’s right. No labor day here.
I had my three-hour, 100 gram glucose test this morning. I took my laptop with me to watch movies and pass the time, which made things go much more quickly. The worst part was trying to get comfy on the seats in the waiting room.
It would appear that I passed. My numbers were:
- Fasting: 81 mg/dl
- 60 minutes: 135
- 120 minutes: 106
- 180 minutes: 72
And then I was starving and we went to the mall to get pastries and lunch (yes, in that order – it’s a kosher no dairy after meat thing). After lunch, I was so tired, we hopped the bus back home and took a nap (if you can call it a nap when you sleep from 12:30 to 4:30).
This means shoulder dystocia shouldn’t be a concern for us. In other news culled from the medical community, care of my referring physician Dr. Google, women of Nordic descent (I’m half Norwegian) have ridiculously large hips in proportion to the kids they create. They are the least at risk for cephalopelvic angst (I think it’s actually disproportion, but angst sums it up better to me). As the doc doing rounds put it to me last Friday: “You don’t want to push out a 5 kilo baby. But if anyone could do it, it would be you.”
Thus far, no contractions or major news to speak of. I am crampier – basically, it’s feels like I have a really bad period. I’m feeling a lot more pressure in the general area and it feels as though the baby may have moved down a little further (though I’m not sure). She is still kicking really well and very active (at least someone enjoyed the 100 grams of sugar at 7:30 in the morning).
We’re going for dinner with a couple friends at a new restaurant in Modiin tonight. It’s a sushi-noodle place called Met Su Yan (which means “excellent” in Hebrew) and should be very yummy. After that, assuming I’m not too tired (where does the energy go?), I’d like to try and take a long walk after dark tonight to see if I can motivate my reluctant home seller to move on.
I gave my belly a tour of the would-be nursery today in an attempt to show her how much nicer it would be to sleep in her crib instead of having my kidneys as a mobile above her bed, but I’m not sure she was listening. She already shows a disturbingly acute ability to tune me out.
I was hoping she just liked the color navy blue like her mom and therefore was holding out to be born in September so she could have sapphire as her birthstone. It could still be the case, but perhaps she hasn’t checked the calendar in there?
Tomorrow morning, it’s back to the women’s center for more monitoring and another scan. I am still holding out for labor starting tonight (no, I have no good reason to suspect that it will) and that she’ll show up tomorrow afternoon. The weird thing is that, like all other issues you face in pregnancy, you finally begin to accept this as the status quo. She’ll come when she comes, it’ll hurt as much as it will hurt, and God willing, we’ll all come through it unscathed.
But it would be lovely if it could be tonight or tomorrow, no?