Welcome Sweet Pea

Baby Girl Brown was born at Hadassah Ein Kerem Hospital in Jerusalem at 4:46 p.m. Wednesday. She weighs 3.84 kg (8.44 pounds). She has a head full of gorgeous brown hair and has already mastered thumb sucking, displaying her brilliance at a very early age. She will get her proper name some time in the next 10 days or so, depending on when we are discharged and when I can get it together to organize such an event.

The birth story will follow later, but here are some of the fine points:

  • Regular monitoring Tuesday morning showed a lack of heart rate accelerations, so we were referred to the hospital again.
  • The hospital said the monitor was fine, so they tried to send us home. But first, the doctor stripped my membranes, around 4:30 p.m.
  • We drove back to Modiin while I bled and cramped.
  • I made it into the apartment, into the bathtub, and within 20 minutes was having contractions lasting 30 seconds in length that were 5 minutes apart.
  • 20 minutes later, those contractions were 30 seconds in length and 2.5 minutes apart.
  • So we headed back to the hospital courtesy of a neighbor. Dr. Savta left a birthday party early to meet us at the hospital.
  • The hospital decided I wasn’t in labor. I was only 1 cm dilated, 60% effaced. That was at about 8:30 p.m.
  • I’ll blog about the details later, but I was finally admitted for labor at 3 or 4 a.m. At about 5:30 a.m., I was given a dose of Demerol to sleep for a couple hours.
  • At that point, I was still only 2 cm dilated. I had been in active labor, according to Dr. Savta who knows about these things, for several hours without so much as a Tylenol. This was also my first IV fluids, so I was getting pretty parched. Oh, and I had started vomiting again – 3 times.
  • The next doc on shift ruptured my membranes and gave me more Demerol to sleep through the contractions. I don’t know if they mixed up the vials of Demerol and chicken bouillion or something, but it had absolutely no effect and I pretty much grunted my ass off for the next two hours.
  • At 1:30 p.m., I was given an epidural and pitocin. For the record, I will beg my ass off for this happy cocktail combo in every future labor I ever had. I went from 2 cm/60% to 10 cm/100% in roughly three hours – and I slept through all of it. It was absolute bliss.
  • At 5:20 p.m., I started pushing. I think I pushed about 10-12 times, but then again, I was still a bit drugged so maybe I’m wrong (a “push” here having the meaning wait for the contraction, push really hard, deep breath, push again – maybe a third one for fun – and then breath, recover and wait for the next contraction). 20 minutes later, she was in my arms. Not sure if it is because of how hard I pushed or how fast she came, but I did tear. First degree – 11 stiches – up, down and inside. They don’t hurt that bad yet and all the drugs have worn off, so we’ll see how it feels tomorrow. I don’t hurt at all either (yet) but am considering asking for a Tylenol (or Acamol, in Israel).
  • All in all, 22 hour labor, 16 hours without any medication. Or a bed. Or an IV. Still a bit miffed about that one, but the midwife I had for delivery makes up for all of it. She rocked.
  • And of course, no post would be complete without a huge thanks to Dr. Savta. The woman is a complete stud and didn’t sleep for the better part of 36 hours, running across the country to be there for us, time and again.
  • Thus far, the baby has had a massive poop, a good pee, a bath, two shots (Vitamin K and Hep B), and spent a bit of time under a heat lamp in the maternity ward while I was getting settled.
  • She also tried nursing a little. She has a good ability to suck, though it’s clear that this as actual nourishment is going to take some work.

The complete story will follow in the ample free time I expect to have (heh). And photos to come. Too tired to post them tonight.


15 responses to “Welcome Sweet Pea

  1. Oh hooray hooray hooray! Such wonderful news!

    Sorry that you got the runaround in the early stages, though. That must have been frustrating (well, miserable, actually). Still, the happy ending is wonderful. Welcome Baby Girl Brown!

  2. Huge congratulations from here too πŸ™‚ I loved getting the SMSs all night long and I was just sorry it was so looooooooooong. You’re a champ!

  3. Congratulations!

  4. mazel tov! welcome, baby girl, this is life, it’s fantastic!

  5. Mazel tov! Best wishes to the whole family.

  6. Mazel tov! What absolutely wonderful news.

  7. Mazal Tov!
    Sorry it was such a miserable night!
    Especially sorry about the barfing 😦

  8. Yay! I’ve been hoping your parcel was going to arrive on time, but I have this sinking feeling it didn’t…


  9. Yay! So exciting to have BG finally here! But yeah, would have been nice if she could have shown up without the 22 hours, the puking, and the tearing. But isn’t that what gives you ammo later in life? “Do you know what I had to go through to give birth to you?!….”

    Mazal tov!

  10. Congratulations! I’m very glad that the both of you are doing okay. πŸ™‚

  11. Big mazel tov!! So happy for you!

  12. You move country, you move blog then wham through rachel’s site i see you’ve had a baby, mazal tov! I missed it all i guess πŸ™‚

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s