Answering more of your mail, and then it’s off to bed!
The following questions came in as anonymous e-mails:
Are you crazy? You can’t train for a race of that distance in 12 weeks.
Yes, I am crazy. But I also have some other plans in mind.
1. I hope we get pregnant and I won’t train for it at all.
2. If we decide to move for certain, we won’t be spending any money on anything like that. I am already cutting back big time so that all possible funds can be put toward our aliyah.
3. There is a shorter distance race the same weekend and I haven’t registered for either yet. I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
If you’re moving to Israel and IVF is free there, why are you paying for a cycle now?
Ah, dear reader. That is the question. And frankly, I haven’t got a good answer besides “crazy baby fever.” Other than that, here are a couple reasons.
1. If we don’t make aliyah, we’ll probably still move away from this job. With that relocation, I will likely lose my IVF coverage. So this is potentially the last possible cycle before we would move this summer.
2. If we do make aliyah and we’re not pregnant before we leave, it’s unlikely we would try and cycle right away. I would have a hard time justifying focus on anything other than conversion and finding a job right after we get to Israel. And is IVF really covered there? Are there limits on the number of times you can try, do you need supplemental insurance, etc.
For that matter, if one kupot cholim is better for IVF and pregnancy than the other (preferably in Modi’in), please let me know.
3. I’m not getting any younger. To those of you who just scoffed at my youthful indignity (I’m 28), let’s just recall that we’re three years into this process with nothing to show from it yet. I am very glad we took an assertive course of action when we did.
4. As of Monday, our deductible is met and we pay only 15 percent for all coming treatments. We’re never going to get a cycle in the U.S. for less than this, so we might as well go for it.
Hope that answers your questions. Please keep writing as I love to hear from folks. And don’t forget about the greatness of comments! I’ll reply to you there too!